Monday, May 2, 2011

The Pogues = Hockey Mom??

OK.  Let me start off by saying I really do not usually have an opinion about artists that sell out and let Corporate America pervert their music in yet another attempt to sway us to part with our money by sparking fond memories of the Senior Prom while hawking their products.  BUT, one exception surfaced this past winter that annoys me like nails on a chalboard whenver I see it:




Why does this commercial annoy me so much you ask? Let me tell you.

The title of this commercial is Hockey Mom. The premise of this commercial, as I see it, is that with a hectic schedule with 3 active boys, the Subaru can handle the demands of your life all while keeping your family safe and sound.

However, the song playing during the duration is "If I Should Fall From Grace With God" by The Pogues'.  This particular song is about death and dying.  The title and chorus are essentially saying that if God has decided that it's my time to go, just let me go.  A very moronic choice of songs for a commercial advertising safety.  It is not a coincidence that the Subaru commercial is geared toward the demographic that would recognize the music, but how many of us want to be reminded of our free for all, no responsibilities youth, while being sold a "mini-van"?

I realize that the Pogues' are a more obscure band from the 1980's that played Irish Folk/Celtic Punk music, but their name alone is a variation shortened of póg mo thóin, meaning "kiss my arse".  Not exactly family friendly. 

If you like the music in the commercial, I encourage you to listen to more of their music and to give the whole Celtic Rock Genre a listen also.  Here are the lyrics to this awesome tune:

IF I SHOULD FALL FROM GRACE WITH GOD

If I should fall from grace with God
Where no doctor can relieve me
If I'm buried 'neath the sod
But the angels won't receive me

Let me go, boys
Let me go, boys
Let me go down in the mud
Where the rivers all run dry

This land was always ours
Was the proud land of our fathers
It belongs to us and them
Not to any of the others

Let them go, boys
Let them go, boys
Let them go down in the mud
Where the rivers all run dry

Bury me at sea
Where no murdered ghost can haunt me
If I rock upon the waves
Then no corpse can lie upon me

It's coming up three, boys
Keeps coming up three, boys
Let them go down in the mud
Where the rivers all run dry

If I should fall from grace with God
Where no doctor can relieve me
If I'm buried 'neath the sod
But the angels won't receive me

Let me go, boys
Let me go, boys
Let me go down in the mud
Where the rivers all run dry