Monday, June 21, 2010

What is American Chop Suey?

Way back when, like the 70's, small restaraunts in the Boston area offered a dish called "American Chop Suey". This dish was a staple in our house and is always the dish the kids would ask my mom to make when we returned home as adults.

Now that I'm in Texas, I make it every couple of weeks because it is still a favorite from my childhood. I love it, because there is no way to mess it up, the recipe is subjective, it's inexpensive and makes alot so I don't have to cook the next day (hehe). No one has ever heard of it, but it is basically a goulash I would say.

My mother-in-law enjoys it so much that if she's coming for a visit I know I have to get the ingredients for both this and garlic chicken and she's happy all week!

You can find "recipes" for this on the web with all kinds of different ingredients, but I am a lazy cook, so I don't bother with chopping onions, celery or green peppers. I also do not entirely care for using elbow pasta, though I will if it's all I have, and I don't use beef.

American Chop Suey (The Lazy Way)

1 lb Ground Turkey (I actually use 2 lbs)
1 16 oz bag of medium pasta shells
2 cans sliced mushrooms (because I LOVE mushrooms)
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup (I will use tomato if I forgot to get Cream of Mushroom)
1/4 cup onion (I use dehydrated onion flakes)
1 or 2 cans of Diced Tomatoes (I use Italian Style or Diced with Celery already mixed in)
1 small can of Tomato paste to thicken
Sprinkling or Italian Seasoning

Boil Pasta. In large skillet or saucepan combine mushrooms, turkey and onions (cooking rehydrates the onions I use). Once turkey is brown (no need to drain since I use turkey, not beef) toss in diced tomatoes, can of soup and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, toss in the cooked pasta and you're done!!

Total Prep Time:  about 15 minutes
Clean up:  2 pots, a strainer and a spoon

I like to serve with a side of crispy green beans, it compliments it well.

This will easily feed a family of 4. Jerry and I will have for dinner then I put leftoves in lunch size tupperware and we easily get about 4 lunches out of it, all for about $10.

It also tastes even better the next day.





MY HOME PAGE