Monday, August 1, 2011

Our first 4 hours in Richmond...



We made it in one piece...

Unfortunately that is the only good news.  30 minutes after arriving, the car we came in, blew a tire, we were missing a tool for the locking lugnuts, so roadside assistance came out.  They put the donut on the wheel, but a lugnut was stripped and with the amount of weight in the car it couldn’t be driven on the donut. 

We then called a tow truck, but had no place to tow the car, being 9:00 PM, he towed us to a hotel, where we are currently stranded. 


We unloaded the car at the hotel and hope with the weight gone, we will be able to drive the car to a tire shop once we find one close enough.  If not then we will have to either rent a car or hire a cab to take the tire to a tire shop and have new rubber put on the rim.  The sidewall is torn so we will have to get a new tire.  We have tire insurance, but just found out you don’t have Discount Tire here. 

Our other car should be delivered on Tuesday, but in the meantime we may very well be stranded at this hotel.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I have edema in my legs that is so bad my legs have almost tripled in size and I can actually feel my skin stretching.  When I took my sandles off, the skin had swelled around the shoe and the pattern was clearly visible. 

My whole body has swelled up.  I can't even put my wedding ring on past my first knuckle.  I look like I've bloated about 10-15 pounds in 3 days.  I packed very loose clothing for the trip for comfort and because I still have 4 weeks left on my surgery restrictions.  A pair of shorts that normally almost fall off where so tight I had to unbutton and unzip them in the car.

If swelling doesn't go down in the next few days, I guess I'll have to see someone.  I've never had edema before, but my mother has and my Nana had horrible edema that actually made fluid drip from her pores.