Friday, July 1, 2011

My Robotic Hysterectomy Post Op Experience

****THIS POST IS A DESCRIPTIVE NARRATIVE OF MY EXPERIENCE****


IF YOU DON’T WANT TO READ A NO HOLDS BARRED DESCRIPTION OF MY EXPERIENCE AND HOW I DEALT WITH DIFFERENT ASPECTS OF AFTERCARE, THEN LEAVE NOW. 
IF YOU DO WANT TO READ ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE TO MAYBE HELP WHEN YOU ARE GOING THROUGH IT, THEN CLICK “READ MORE”



Surgery Day

After surgery I was wide awake and felt fine.  My only problem was that they won’t let you go home until you void about 100cc’s.  It took 2 hours and 4 mini bottles of water, 1 can of Gatorade, 1 hospital apple juice, 1 hospital cranberry juice and a 20 ounce Gatorade from the gift shop and my bladder wasn’t giving it up.  Now during this time it FEELS like you have to pee like a racehorse, but nothing would come out.  It wasn’t until I drank a can of regular Coke (caffeine) that I was able to void just a little bit, but it was enough to go home.

First Night Post Op

The worst part for me was the pressure feeling on my bladder.  By now, the 90 ounces I drank earlier had built up but it still wouldn’t come out.  It got to the point that the pressure became pain and I couldn't relieve it.  I was about 30 minutes away from going to the ER to have them drain my bladder for me.  As a last ditch effort, I decided to take a hot bath and was actually able to relieve myself in the tub which helped a little, but I was still in pain.  I ended up on all fours rocking back and forth while still in the warm tub trying to stop the pain.  Finally the pressure of kneeling with my knees against my chest was enough pressure to force my bladder release enough to stop the pain.

I had Jerry pick up 3 things for me based on articles and forums that I read:

1.  Mylanta to relieve any pressure and bloating caused by gas (my tummy was hard and looked pregnant from the bloating).  I've been chewing one of those every 4-6 hours.

2.  A bladder analgesic (AZO or Uristat), I’ve been taking every 6-8 hours

3.  Cranberry Juice.  The bladder does go through trauma during the surgery in addition to the catheter, so cranberry juice will help keep any urinary tract infection at bay.

Day 1 Post Op

My entire body is sore from my knees to my elbows.  I most definitely will not be doing much today other than taking drugs, sipping my Ginger Ale/Cranberry Juice Cocktail and napping.

Day 2 Post Op

The soreness is much better today and localized to my abdomen.  My Dr gave me Motrin with instructions to take every 8 hours until I run out to help with the swelling and pain.  He also gave me Vicodin for the more serious pain.  Today it just feels like I did 200 sit ups.

Day 3 Post Op

My husband is still spoiling me.  Before he leaves for work he makes me a liter of Ginger Ale and a large glass of Ginger Ale to sip on through the day.  He wants me to avoid the stairs as much as possible.  I’m still sore in my abdomen, but other than that, no problems.  I’ve caught myself thinking about doing stuff like a load of laundry, emptying the upstairs trash bins; only to remind myself I‘m not supposed to lift for another 10 days. 

I think if I was working right now I would probably be able to go back after a week if it was a sedentary job with an understanding employer.  Anything else and I would take the full 2 weeks recommended by my Doctor. 

As it is, I will be sorting and packing, but Jerry will be staging the bins I need to sort through so I’m not lifting them and after I’m done with a box, he is sealing and stacking.  We make a great team!