Thursday, March 16, 2017

18 years has gone by so fast! Happy Anniversary Honey!

I often hear people say they love their partner more today than they did the day they married them.  To me that sounds a bit cliché and not quite accurate.  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t love him any less, but I wouldn’t have married him if I wasn’t head over heels in love with him.  What I can say is that I like him more today than I did the day we were married.  Does that sound strange?  Let me try to explain.

We’ve known each other for 22 years, been together for 20 and married for 18.  Of course, I liked him when we got married, but the more you know someone, the more you like or dislike them.  Over the course of these past 18 years I have gotten to know the man my husband was and watched him mature and grow into the man he is today. 

He has always supported me in whatever I want to do and has been my strength when I needed to do things I couldn’t have done alone.  He has never wavered when my health suffered and has spent many nights on the couch because he was afraid of disturbing me during the night and he wanted me to get the best rest possible.  I never wonder or worry about having his support, I know it will be there.  Even if he doesn’t agree, he will never let me stand alone.  

Even now, I learn new things about him.  Sometimes those things are profound and I can’t believe I didn’t know that already and sometimes, not so much (like last week when I found out he’s kinda named after Jerry Lewis? Eww).

I’m not saying it’s been perfect or easy.  We have been tested by illness, our families, and sometimes life in general.  Occasionally we get on each other’s nerves and once or twice a year there may even be a silent treatment thrown in for a couple hours.  However, you will be hard pressed to see us out and about not holding hands or with my arm in his, we never go a day without saying “I Love You” at least a couple of times, and he comes to the bedroom every night to tuck me and the dogs in and give us all good night kisses.

So, while I love him and can’t imagine my life without him, I truly like, and have a deep respect for him as a man, a friend, a lover, a protector, and most of all, as my husband.